Sunday, January 27, 2008

The solo report...

Hello there ;-)

You wanna know how it went? The mean-ass jury's comment? :-D

Well... Let's start with the beginning. There were about 70 solo's to be viewed. Yeah, that's a lot! Normally, mine would be showed on Monday, but when they put my dvd in the dvd player, it didn't work. So I had to wait 'till Wednesday.
The jury wasn't that mean. Actually, they were very friendly. They told you what was good, and what was bad about your work, so that calmed my nerves a bit ;-)

They told me they liked my work! (Big YAY!!!!!)
They liked the 'photography', my images, the colors,...
But, they had a few problems with the story; it was not very credible that a man would give everything up, they said, for just a fight with his girlfriend. I should have given him more depth. They also said my solo was a bit like a video/music clip, but that there weren't enough images, or scenes, for making it a real video clip.
But, overall, they liked this first try ;-)


Then they told us that they wouldn't give us high grades. At the end, there was only one guy (of the +/- 70 students) who got an A. One girl who got a B, 14 who got a C, 17 who got a D and 36 with an E.

Those grades actually mean here:
* A= 14 ore more
* B= 12 or 13
* C= 10 or 11
* D= 8 or 9
* E= 7 or less

D or E means you've failed.



I got a C, whoohoo!


That's encouraging. But they expect you improve really hard too. For our second solo, which is planned for May, they want us to improve a lot! They told us that in the end, the ones who want to become a really good director all should earn an A. The ones who get less, usally don't get the chance (ever) to make a real movie, or find a job in this branche.

And so, now I'm already working on my next solo. The theme here should be 'Passion'. The jury also told us that, for the next solo, they want us to show something about ourselves, reflected in our work. Our opinions about something, our visions.

And I'll do just that. A few years ago, I wrote a script. One of the best I've ever written, I guess. The story itself isn't about 'Passion', so that could be a problem, but it has a message, a problem you could say, which passionates me very much.

It's about a dog, who lives a great life with her owner. But then he gets married, the wife hates the dog, and he gives the dog less and less attention. Then the couple gets a child, and there's even less time for the dog. The man gets a promotion at work, they have to move. So does the dog.
He takes her to a pet shelter, but the dog is so sad, she dies of grief.

The title is 'Goldie' and I'm going to work on it together with a friend. She'll do the production, I'll do the directing ;-)

Now to find a dog who can act, eh ;-)

Anyway, when it's finished, I'll put it up here at Pervy's. If everything works out as we planned, we're shooting this film somewhere in March. So watch out then.


-XXX-
Love,
Andi

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

WTG - sounds like you did do a good job.

Happy Monday :-)