Saturday, September 22, 2007

Good news and other stuff

Hi guys!


I know you don't see much of us lately, but yeah, we're still alive! I was busy for a couple of days... with stuff. I had to fix some papers for my new school, clean the house, help some friends,... And so blogging wasn't on my mind ;-)

But now I have news! Fun, fabulous, fantastic, extraordinary great news! ....Tam-tam-tam...

My mom promised me a dog! Yay!!! Whoooo!!!

After two years of whining (practically non-stop) she finaly said 'yes'. We saw the dog on the website of Ace/Shin. That's an organisation in Spain that rescues dogs from killing stations.
And now we can save one too! I am so happy!

Wednesday, a lady comes to talk to us, about the adoption. So I will tell you more after ;-)



In the meanwhile, I also read 'Skin to Skin' from Dionne Galace, and 'Boundless', an anthology with Annie Dean, Bonnie Dee and Dionne Galace.

Now, for a first review I am pretty nerveous. Let's start with 'Skin to Skin'.

What Leilani wants, Leilani gets. That is, until she meets the enigmatic Oliver Clayton, her new neighbor. For some reason, Oliver seems to be intent on avoiding her even though he’s obviously interested. Leilani has tried to everything to get his attention, from wearing skimpy little outfits to walking a neighbor’s dog six times in front of his yard. Leilani wants Oliver…and she always gets her man.

In the heat of the summer, the temperature’s not only thing rising. Luckily, Oliver has that pool in his backyard and Leilani knows just how to cool off…

I really liked how this story started. We immediately get to know Leilani. A girl with a big mouth. She and her friend reminded me almost instantly of Stien and me. I mean, we would talk like that to each other too.
So the tone is set and we're off...

Oliver is a cop recovering from a gunshot wound. He tries his best at ignoring Leilani, which causes pretty fun moments, hehehe...
And then Leilani gets into the pool...

At first I liked that scene. I really did... but then it started to get a bit... erm, awkward. Man, I was embarrased in Leilani's place! That scene got a bit too much 'eeeew' for my taste.
Oh well, never mind... Quickly forgotten I continued, and I liked the rest. Oliver 'Ollie' turned out pretty sexy, and the end was great. Hehhehe, I'm still smiling when I think of it.

Too bad this story was so short! The characters were well rounded, but I would have liked to see more of them.




'Boundless' then...


First story by Annie Dean, titeled: 'Seven Days'
This one started pretty weird. At first I thought it was a historical, because we don't see a young girl in a convent that often anymore. But since this story takes place in America, I guess everything is possible.

After I had adjusted myself to that fact, I found that this story flowed. It was the first time I read something by this autor and I just loved her language.
This story read like a fairy tale. Soft and gentle, and so very romantic!
Teresa was a perfect fairy tale princess, and Dev, (how much he may claim to be a demon) was a perfect fairy tale prince.

People, this story reads like a Disney! And I love Disney! (well, not all of them, but you get my point)


Story 2: 'The Straw Man' by Bonnie Dee.
It's Halloween and Marie is alone. So lonely that she asks for a man, even if it is just for 1 night. That evening someone knocks on her door....
Man, I had a great laugh reading this! That scene when Sam comes knocking on the door is priceless! Hehehe, really great! It would work fabulous in a movie, believe me.
Also this story has some sweet magic. Sam is a super cute hero, who comes just in time for Marie... And Marie takes this chance with both hands. I love her for it!
This one was a lovely uncomplicated love story, *sigh and swoon*.


Story 3: 'Waking Kitty' by Dionne Galace.
Well, this story totally rocks! It's creative and very science-fiction. From the start I connected with Jack. (No, not because he was a reporter with a film crew... I mean, uh, I want a film crew too. And I really want to steal that Kenny's camera! Why can Kenny have one and I not? It's so not fair... *whine*)

Okayyy, back to earth... Jack gets called to do a story about a ship that appeared from out nowhere, into a bar. Yeah, pretty weird, but let's go along.
Of course the place is crammed with reporters and Jack and his crew are interviewing some people. That's when he meets Kitty.
Kitty has pink hair (*jealousy*) and looks like a manga figure. She's so cool! But her pink hair is not the only thing that's weird about Kitty... her imagination is out of control. Or so she thinks.

I hadn't any problem with the weird happenings in this story. In fact, I really liked them! This was just my kind of, how do I say it, style. Oh, let's just say it: Yeah, I wish I had written it, okay?
Anyway, it was fun. Turns out Kitty can do some neat tricks. Like a magician, but way cooler.


All in all, this was a great anthology about magical fairy tales. I liked that subject (magic) and I would love to read more from these authors. They did a fabulous job!



Love,
Andi

No comments: